Friday, June 25, 2010

Fondant and Gum Paste Cake Class

As Jack gets closer to turning a year older I find myself needing to work on my cake decorating skills yet again. Believe it or not I have enrolled into another cake class at Michael's. I decided to skip all the frosting classes and jump straight to the fondant course. I realize most people do not like the taste of fondant, but you cant beat the clean lines and flawless presentation it offers. With the pressure on to always one up myself (yes I am even competitive with myself) I decided I needed further training. Jack's monkey cake turned out so great last year I really want to get the Woody cowboy cake perfect! I figure I can use these skills for the whole family and even do shower cakes, birthday cakes, and wedding cakes (this is for you Joyce, as everyone else I know is married). The class this time is on Tuesday nights which really make it a busy long day!

The first class we learned how to make fondant and gum paste bows, I need some more practice on this as I am not happy with it! The second class they made three flowers which I missed as I was at my cousins graduation. Class three we learned how to cover cardboard so our cakes can sit on nice bases. We also learned the daisy and mum flowers.

Class four is this Tuesday night and we have to make a cake and decorate it with all the techniques we have learned! Thus far I am amazed at how much easier this material is to work with than frosting. It also gives the cake more of a modern feel as my other cakes last year looked like old lady cakes. I will post images of my final cake soon!

No comments: