Friday, July 31, 2009

A Cake For Your Grandmother




Last night I had my fourth and final cake class for course one at Michael's. During this class we practiced a lot more on the very difficult roses and leafs. Lindsey and I both concluded that our roses look more like heads of cabbage but at least they were no longer blobs. Wendy ( instructor) also taught us how to make bows which to me looked more like jelly fish with tentacles.
We then got to work on putting everything we learned together on our final cake. I have decided my finished cake looks like something you may buy at Safeway for your grandmother on her birthday. I have never been a fan of roses on cakes normally but now that I have gone through the process of learning all the work that goes into making just one. I will forever be changed in my appreciation of the frosting rose and no longer just think of it for grandma's.
It is a little bitter sweet as the course comes to an end. Although I have learned a lot already I am not going to sign up for course 2 and 3 for now. It is too much work for me to get done during the week and since the classes right now are on Thursday nights it is just not a good fit. I will be taking the fondant course in late August though as I have always loved how that looks on a cake. Besides the new limited skills I possess it was worth all the laughs Lindsey and I had together. So funny!

No comments: