Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Fortune Cookies

This weekend I set out to try two recipes for homemade fortune cookies. Joyce's baby shower is only a month away and I really need to get my planning pulled together. Joyce choose to have Chinese food served at the shower which really had me excited! My first thought was to make red and pink (colors of the shower for the ladybug theme) fortune cookies and write custom fortunes. I was going to have some of the cookies say winner inside and those people would get a prize. My other idea for the cookies was to decorate them to look like little lady bugs.


First recipe came from Sandra Lee on the food network, it was very simple to follow and tasted great. My first issue was it took me the whole batch to get the diameter right for the cookie size. The other issue is that they are so stinkin hot they are hard to fold and they set up fast. I was pretty frustrated as they looked like folded paper and not a true cookie.

Second recipe came from Paula Deen on the food network as well. Her batter was a lot thinner and was easier to get the thinness needed to make the cookies crispy. The other difference I liked about hers was she called for Almond extract not vanilla which made it taste more authentic.
I still had the issue of the shape not coming out right. Lucky for me I married an engineer who is always fascinated by my weekend projects. In about 10 minutes the saw was running and Robert whipped up a tool to help make the cookies look right!

It took some trial and error but we got the shape down perfect and they tasted really good. We decided after cleaning up the kitchen that we are going to buy the red fortune cookies and decorate them to look like ladybugs to save time and heart ache. It will be the best 30.00 I ever spend.

Enjoy!

No comments: